Clinicals and Student Teaching
We feels it is very important that college students preparing to be teachers should have as many opportunities as possible to gain experience in the classroom. Therefore as a future teacher, you will participate in extensive classroom clinicals:
- 16 hours of early field experience in a classroom working under the direction of an experienced teacher.
- 25 hours in the classroom tutoring middle or junior high school students and assisting an experienced teacher.
- Approximately 18 weeks of clinicals during which you will plan and teach lessons in specific subject areas (language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, health, physical education, music and art) on consecutive days.
- A three-week clinical during which you will teach children with special needs under the direction and supervision of a special education teacher.
- The final classroom experience is the semester-long teaching internship during which you will complete the full-time student teaching requirement. Recently, students have done their teaching internships in Mankato and the surrounding communities of Nicollet, Janesville, Madelia, Mapleton, Jordan, Good Thunder, Faribault, St. Clair, St. James, St. Peter, Albert Lea, and Waterville.