The Bethany Lutheran Colleges against Cancer (CAC) Club is taking a break from their normal Relay for Life event this spring. Their focus changed when learning that, one of our education professors at Bethany Lutheran College, Dr. Polly Browne, recently saw her cancer return. The CAC Club at BLC will be organizing “A Week of Hope” to help their professor in her battle against cancer.
During the week of April 28–May 4, there will be a variety of volunteer activities both on and off campus to encourage a sense of community. The week will culminate with an event, “A Day of Hope,” on Friday, May 4, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Day of Hope will take place on the Campus Green between the Sports and Fitness Center and Old Main on Bethany’s campus. In the case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to Honsey Hall.
The May 4 event will include a freewill donation meal, a silent auction, live music, lawn games, and more. The CAC Club’s goal is to both build support and raise funds for Professor Browne and the charities of her choice. We welcome all to join us for our Week and Day of Hope!
A Week of Hope activities:
Saturday, April 28 – A Day of Service: Campus and Highway Cleanup Day
- Meet at 9 a.m. on the Campus Green.
- Campus clean-up will last until approximately 11:30 AM.
- We will also take a group to the Bethany Adopt-A-Highway location
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes.
Monday, April 30 – A Day of Chipotle
- Visit Chipotle on Madison Avenue between 4–8 p.m.
- A portion of the day’s sales will go to the Week of Hope cause.
Tuesday, May 1 – A Day of Faith
- After school fun at Mount Olive Lutheran School (meet in SFC) from 3–5:30 p.m.
- Sign up at bulletin board next to cafeteria by Wednesday, April 25.
Wednesday, May 2 – A Day of Smiles
- Stop by the table outside the dining center from 5–7 p.m. and write a letter to a child in the hospital.
Thursday, May 3 – A Day of Warmth
- Make a blanket for a child in need through Project Linus.
- Honsey Hall Lobby from 7–9 PM.
Friday, May 4 – A Day of Hope
- Join us for a night of fun, family, and community.
- Live music, silent auction, freewill donation barbecue, games and activities including face painting, bean bag toss, parachute activities, recess games, and more!
- Bethany Campus Green from 5:30–8:30 p.m. (Honsey Hall if bad weather).