Application Deadline: Monday, April 13, 2020
Title of Position: Head Coach – Men’s Basketball Program
Function of Position: Responsible to the director of athletics to recruit, lead, encourage and support students involved in men’s basketball program within the guidelines and mission of Bethany Lutheran College and the NCAA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Head Coach (60%) – Could become full-time with the addition of other duties
1. Oversee the development and promotion of a competitive men’s basketball program, including:
- provide positive Christian leadership for the program
- foster and promote the Christian faith as stated in the philosophy of the College
- develop, present, and implement proposals for program improvements, including varsity and junior varsity when applicable
- develop and maintain a game schedule in accordance with Bethany, UMAC, and NCAA rules and guidelines
- develop and administer a zero-based program budget based on game schedule
- work under and follow all NCAA, UMAC, and Bethany rules and regulations
- establish positive communication relationships media and public agencies
- maintain professional communication with conference coaches; represent the College at conference meetings
- foster a sense of unity and fellowship in the athletic department and campus community
- work with other head coaches as needed on details for practices, utilization of SFC facilities, home and away contest logistics, etc.
- select, train, and evaluate assistant coaches and student managers
- develop, organize, and evaluate program-specific camps and leagues; monitor SFC for purposes of safety and facility security during these events
- manage program equipment inventory
- provide requested information to SID promptly and efficiently
- respect and assist in care of all athletic facilities in cooperation with other coaching staff and athletic administration
- assist with athletic department golf tournament
- raise funds for any “extras” (trips, uniforms out of rotation, special equipment, etc.) that the institutional budget does not cover
- make team lodging, meals, and travel details; confirm at least a week in advance of travel
- set and communicate yearly programs to AD prior to season
- recruit student athletes who understand the mission of the athletic department and the institution, in accordance with NCAA guidelines
- develop recruiting book or list
- visit high schools and other higher education institutions as appropriate
- meet with potential student athletes and their families during campus visits
- establish and maintain contact through phone calls, e-mails, and letters
- coordinate and oversee recruiting efforts of assistant coaches
- maintain roster numbers that are in the top half of the conference and that exceed NCAA minimums in all varsity sports
- care for and develop student athlete physical, spiritual, emotional, academic, and psychological skills and well-being
- develop, implement, and evaluate drills, practice plans, conditioning programs, and game strategies
- evaluate student athlete talent and level of improvement
- maintain open lines of communication with student athletes
- encourage and promote good teamwork and positive behavior
- maintain and enforce all team, institutional, UMAC, and NCAA rules
- maintain student athlete files
- require a timely post-season meeting in which student-athlete evaluation is administered and returned to AD
- assist with game management of contests as needed
- communicate with opposing teams and officials in a professional, sportsmanlike manner
- coordinate game logistics and assist with maintaining accurate statistics
2. Engage with College constituents such as alumni and local communities.
3. Attend local, regional, and national professional development clinics, conventions, and seminars.
4. Research, refine, and continue to develop knowledge of basketball rules, regulations, and policies affecting responsibilities.
5. Maintain First Aid and CPR certification.
6. Perform other related duties/responsibilities as appropriate or assigned by director of athletics.
- willingness to support the mission of Bethany Lutheran College
- bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; master’s preferred (required for teaching)
- coaching/recruiting experience at the collegiate level preferred
- knowledge of NCAA rules
- strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- ability to recruit, develop, motivate and develop student athletes
- able to lift, pull, push up to 50 pounds
- maintain valid driver’s license
Send Information to:
Bethany Lutheran College – Human Resources Office
Search Committee – Men’s Basketball
700 Luther Drive
Mankato, MN 56001; or via scanned email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin April 13th 2020, and continue until the position is filled.