Posting Date: March. 10th, 2022
Applications will be taken until the position is filled.
Position Title: Director of Music
Website: Shalom Lutheran Church
Hours: Work is estimated at 20-25 hours per week depending on work load
Salary: Pay to start: salaried at $517.50 /wk. Probation period is 6 months. After successful probation rate increases to $547.50/wk
Location: Alexandria, MN
The Director of Music is to advance music at Shalom to fulfill our purpose in God’s mission, by “inviting people into a deeper relationship with Christ so that all may discover true peace and follow Him in compassionate service”. The Director of Music advances these ministries in these specific ways.
1. Plan worship services, in consultation with the Worship and Music Committee, the pastor, and the
administrative assistant. This planning includes:
a. Choosing hymns, in consultation with the pastor and Spirit of Shalom (SoS) band.
b. Overseeing development of the weekly worship bulletin, as well as bulletins for special worship services
(Advent and Lenten midweek, Christmas Eve, Holy Week).
c. Developing themes of worship services, after consultation with the pastor, the Youth and Education
committee, and the Worship and Music Committee.
d. Maintain the music library and the use and management of our music licensing programs.
2. Direct the music ministries of Shalom, assist with Sunday school music time and the Christmas program.
a. Serve as the main pianist/organist for worship services. This includes rehearsal time.
b. Conduct our choirs, (Adult, Children’s, Chime) making participation available to any skill level. This
includes choosing music and conducting rehearsals.
c. Serve as a liaison between the SoS band and the Worship and Music Committee.
d. Be available to play keyboard with SoS for services and rehearsals as needed.
e. Incorporate additional guest musicians as needed for special occasions.
3. Encourage and equip the people of Shalom for a life of worship through music, as stated in our core values.
a. Finding and encouraging musical talent within the congregation.
b. Developing leadership at special worship services (Advent, Midweek, etc.).
c. Assist in coordination of the contemporary Spirit of Shalom band as needed.
1. Participate in weekly staff meetings.
2. Write articles for the newsletter as requested.
3. Prepare reports to Council concerning his/her areas of ministry.
4. Continue to build relationships among the people of Shalom and our community
5. Be a team player bringing energy to worship and Shalom as a whole using traditional and contemporary
styles of worship.
6. Other duties as directed by the Council or the pastor and in consultation with the youth director
and/or the administrative assistant when necessary.
Please send all application materials to Ken Rothman at firstname.lastname@example.org