Posting Date: Tuesday, May 3rd, 2022
Applications will be taken until the position is filled.
Function 1 (80%): Dedicated to the well-being and academic success of students who come to BLC from diverse cultural backgrounds. Provides service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement to enhance student integration and assimilation. Directly responsible to the International Student Coordinator.
Function 2 (20%): Responsible to the Student Affairs Division in the execution of campus events and assisted supervision of the Bethany Activities Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities – International Student Support Specialist (80%):
Arrival & Onboarding of International Students:
- Assist with the execution of the fall and spring Orientation Program for International Students.
- Assist in the coordination of arrival transportation and logistics related to welcoming new international students to campus.
- Coordinate the day to day life of new international students during the fall and spring orientation programs, including: assistance with moving into the residence halls, rooming assignments, mixer events, local travel and meals.
- Arrange ‘personal needs’ trips for international students, including: trips to the department store, bank, Social Security office, seasonal apparel, and the like.
- Organize immunization deficiency resolution, such as facilitating and ensuring all incoming students are properly vaccinated, appropriate testing (such as TB) is conducted, and all medical requirements and records are complete
- Develop and manage an international student mentor program to assist in the transition and adjustment of new students to Bethany Lutheran College and Higher Ed in the United States.
- Assist with educating students regarding state and federal laws that may be different from their country of origin.
International Student Success:
- Conduct a one-on one meeting with each individual international student every semester to ensure proper adjustment into BLC, that student success support systems are utilized, and to identify areas of concern or need.
- Monitor international student grades, classroom attendance, and intervene as appropriate. Maintains Academic Advisor privileges and mentors as appropriate.
- Work with other campus offices such as: Residential Life, Dining Services, Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, and Admissions & Enrollment, to continually monitor, improve, and support the international student experience.
- Conduct exit interviews when students graduate or transfer and provide feedback to enhance international student retention and success.
- Serves as a representative on the Student Success Committee.
Ongoing Acculturation and Support:
- Schedule, plan and execute activities that support international students and cultivates cross-cultural programs and services.
- Develop ways to integrate international students and domestic student populations and enhance mutual understanding and awareness that may include the showcasing of cultures or homelands.
- Serve as an advocate for international students within the student development framework and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Serves as advisor to the Bethany World Club.
- Ensure the needs of international students are met over extended weekends, breaks, and during non-academic periods, such as summer break, to include assistance or direction regarding summer housing if needed
Marketing, Promotion, and Admissions:
- Supports Bethany’s international social media accounts, including, but not limited to, Facebook and Instagram, and assists in the promotion of the international student experience at Bethany, such as photo or video shoots.
- Works with admissions recruiters to identify student success or retention issues that may be remedied in the recruitment process.
General International Student Responsibilities:
- Serve as a Designated School Official and carry out responsibilities as the secondary contact, such as generating I-20 forms for accepted international students and ensuring forms are properly signed for travel.
- Develop and manage the International Student Services budget for activities and related travel.
- Collect and evaluate data regarding the success of the international programs, services and activities, and use data to inform program and service improvements.
Duties and Responsibilities – Student Activity Coordinator (20%):
- Provide leadership and support in direction and planning of department-sponsored and special events, including budget, promotional materials, entertainment contracts, student participation oversight, and assessment/feedback.
- Serve as advisor to the Bethany Activities Committee, including: attending BAC meetings, planning, and conducting activities geared toward all students in the BLC campus community.
- Research and continue to develop new program and entertainment ideas.
- Assist in the planning of opening week activities and orientation events.
- Assists the Student Affairs Division with general student success and engagement projects as directed.
Perform other duties as assigned by the International Student Coordinator and the Student Affairs Department.
Please send all application materials to:
Bethany Lutheran College – Human Resources Office
700 Luther Drive
Mankato, MN 56001; or scanned email to email@example.com