Prof. Peter J. Bloedel is a Professor in the Theatre department.
BiographyBloedel has worked in the theater department at Bethany Lutheran College for twenty years. In that time he has directed or technically directed over 60 shows. He is the originator of Bethany’s annual vaudeville revue Theatre Physics which celebrated 20 years of in the fall of 2013. He recently wrote and directed the play Life Coach, in the Sig Lee Theater on Bethany's campus. Other full-length plays written by Bloedel include: the Minnesota based comedy Icehouse Madrigals, and Jam Jar Sonnets (published by Playscripts Inc.). Other published one-act plays by Bloedel include: The Seussification of A Midsummer Night's Dream, One-Act Rhymes for Bible Times, A Seussified Christmas Carol, A Play With Words, The Rules of Comedy, and The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet, which has the distinction of being performed over 1500 times world-wide.
- Play Directing
- Theatrical Design
- A.A. from Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, Minnesota
- B.A. from Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota
- M.A. from Minnesota State University-Mankato in Mankato, Minnesota
- Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival,
- Evangelical Lutheran Synod Board for Youth Outreach
AwardsKCACTF Region 5 award for Bethany's original production of Jam Jar Sonnets.
ServiceMany years of church youth work.
- Juggling/Circus Arts
Teaching PhilosophyA Christ-centered approach to teaching is at the very heart of the Bethany Lutheran College theater curriculum. We will study plays of all types and genres, and all of them will be examined through the lens of Christ.
Peter Bloedel has recently taught the following courses:
- Production Involvement
- Theatre Practicum I
- Introduction to Theatre
- Acting I
- Shop Activity Credits
- Vocal Production and Interpretation
- Theatre Practicum
- Theatre Practicum II
- Acting II
- Scene Design
- Advanced Design and Technical Seminar: Costume Design
- Stage Makeup
- Dramatic Theory and Criticism
- Theatre Capstone