Dr. Ryan C. MacPherson is a Professor in the History department.
- Ph.D., History and Philosophy of Science (University of Notre Dame, 2003)
- M.A., Confessional Lutheran Theology (Bethany Lutheran Theological Seminary, partial coursework completed)
- U.S. constitutional law
- American religious history
- History of science
- Marriage and family in public policy
- Debating Evolution before Darwinism: An Exploration of Science and Religion in America, 1844–1859 (2015)
- Rediscovering the American Republic: Biographies, Primary Texts, Charts, and Study Questions—Exploring a People’s Quest for Ordered Liberty; Volume 1: 1492-1877 (2912) and Volume 2: 1877-Present (2013)
- The Culture of Life: Ten Essential Principles for Christian Bioethics (2012)
- Studying Luther’s Large Catechism: A Workbook for Christian Discipleship (2012)
- Telling the Next Generation: The Evangelical Lutheran Synod’s Vision for Christian Education, 1918–2011 and Beyond (editor and contributor, 2011)
Selected Articles and Chapters
- “Family-Friendly Health Care: How to Make Health Care Pro-Marriage, Pro-Life, and Affordable,” The Family in America: A Journal of Public Policy 29, no. 3 (Summer 2015): 235–49.
- "Marital Parenthood and American Prosperity: As Goes the Middle-Class Family, So Goes the Nation," The Family in America 26, no. 1 (Spring 2012): 1–21.
- "The Natural Law of the Family," chapter 11 in Natural Law: A Lutheran Reappraisal, edited by Robert C. Baker (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2011), 201-19.
- Senior Editor, The Family in America: A Journal of Public Policy (Howard Center for Family, Religion, and Society, Sept. 2012-2016)
- Board Member, Evangelical Lutheran Synod Historical Society (2004-2013)
- University Faculty for Life (member)
- Lutherans for Life (speakers’ bureau)
Ryan MacPherson has recently taught the following courses: