The Biochemistry major at Bethany Lutheran College provides a sound conceptual foundation in chemistry while developing the student’s biochemical knowledge and laboratory skills. Students who are interested in pursuing positions in medical labs, environmental labs, and food science labs would be well served by the biochemistry program as well as students who hope to attend medical school or graduate programs in biochemical sciences.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental concepts in chemistry.
- Demonstrate the use of lab techniques and equipment to perform experiments.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written skills in the area of chemistry.
- Collect and evaluate information in the chemical literature.
- Exhibit knowledge of the basic structures, fundamental processes and relationships of life at the molecular and cellular levels.
Please see the Program Requirements Disclaimer when planning your coursework.
Following the ACS Guidelines for Undergraduate Professional Education, the following courses are required for the biochemistry major. Any chemistry or supporting course in which the student receives a grade of “C-“ or lower must be repeated.
Required Lower Division Courses:
- BIOL151 General Biology I and Lab
- CHEM113 General Chemistry I and Lab
- CHEM114 General Chemistry II and Lab
- CHEM215 Organic Chemistry I and Lab
- CHEM216 Organic Chemistry II and Lab
- MATH151 Calculus I
- MATH152 Calculus II
- PHYS151 College Physics I and Lab
- PHYS152 College Physics II and Lab
Required Upper Division Courses:
- BIOL352 Immunology
- CHEM313 Analytical Chemistry and Lab
- CHEM323 General Biochemistry and Lab
- CHEM324 Advanced Biochemistry
- CHEM353 Physical Chemistry I and Lab
- CHEM401 Chemical Information I
- CHEM402 Chemical Information II
- CHEM490 Junior Seminar I and CHEM491 Junior Seminar II
- CHEM492 Senior Seminar I and CHEM493 Senior Seminar II
Select one of the following:
- BIOL340 Genetics and Lab
- BIOL350 Cell Biology and Lab
- BIOL360 Microbiology and Lab
- CHEM314 Inorganic Chemistry and Lab
- CHEM354 Physical Chemistry II and Lab
- CHEM405 Advanced Organic Chemistry
- CHEM480 Topics in Chemistry and Lab
- CHEM497 Research Arranged
- SCIE320 History and Philosophy of Science
- SCIE330 Ethics in Science
- SCIE340 Environmental Issues
Contact for more information
|Name||Title||Office / Phone||Courses|
|Associate Professor|| MH 209|
|Professor|| MH 208|
|Professor|| MH 316|