Step 1: Apply for Federal Student Aid
- Create your own personal FSA ID (user name and password) to sign your FAFSA. Both the student and parent (if student is dependent) will need a unique FSA ID.
- When completing your FAFSA you will use prior prior year income. For the 2021-2022 FAFSA you will use 2019 tax and income data. Note that the FAFSA includes multiple steps and should be completed as soon as possible after October 1, 2020. When completing the FAFSA Bethany Lutheran College recommends that you apply online for faster processing and that you use the IRS Data Retrieval process to minimize the chance that your application is selected for verification. The IRS Data Retrieval process is available approximately two weeks after you electronically submit your federal income tax return and 6-8 weeks after mailing a paper federal tax return. By using the IRS Data Retrieval tool income information will transfer directly from the IRS database to your FAFSA.
- If you choose not to apply online, you can request a paper FAFSA by calling 800-433-3243.
- Be sure to include on your FAFSA the Federal School Codes of all educational institutions to which you have applied for admission. Bethany’s Federal School Code is 002337.
Step 2: Complete the Financial Aid Application Process
- For Fall 2021 or Spring 2022, complete the 2021-2022 Financial Aid Application.
- For Spring 2021, complete the 2020-2021 Financial Aid Application.
- If your FAFSA is chosen for verification by the FAFSA Central Processor, we will contact you with instructions on how to complete the verification process.
- Mail or fax (507-344-7307) necessary supporting documentation to: Bethany Lutheran College Financial Aid Office, 700 Luther Dr., Mankato, MN 56001
- Priority application deadline: April 15
Step 3: Receive your Financial Aid Offer
- First year students: we will send you a financial aid offer detailing your financial aid package. Please follow all directions included in your financial aid packet to ensure timely application and disbursements of your student loans and to avoid any possible finance charges.
- Returning students: you will be notified via email when your financial aid offer is available online.
- It is critical that you have your correct permanent address and your correct local address on file with the Registrar’s Office. An incorrect address may cause delays and missed deadlines.
- Instructions on how to accept your financial aid are included when you are notified that it has been processed.
Step 4: Follow-up
- If your financial aid package includes a loan, you may need to complete additional steps as outlined on our loans page. For certain types of loans, you are required to complete entrance counseling, which ensures that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. Upon graduation (or leaving school or entering less-than-half-time academic status), you will be required to complete exit counseling, which prepares you for transferring to another school or entering the repayment phase of your loan.
The financial aid processing can be confusing. We’re here to help.