Female students talking outside

Work-study Programs

Over 300 students work on campus to help with their college expenses.  Some students are offered work-study as part of their financial aid package.  Whether or not  you are eligible for work-study, you may still get a job on campus.  After you apply for need-based aid through Bethany Lutheran College and complete your FAFSA, you’ll receive your financial aid package letting you know your eligibility for work-study.  You are not required to accept work-study if it is offered to you.  The amount of work-study you’re offered is an estimate and it is not guaranteed that you will earn this amount.  What you earn will depend on the number of hours you work throughout the year.

Our Student Employment Department will give you information on how to apply for a work-study job when you arrive on campus.  You will be required to complete the following forms before beginning work.

Student Forms


IRS form W-4 is the Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. This certificate determines how much tax is withheld from an employee’s paycheck each pay period. Please note: the number of allowances claimed on the W-4 is not necessarily the number that will be claimed on your federal tax returns.  Students who claim “exempt” are required to complete a new W-4 at the beginning of the new calendar year. International students cannot claim “exempt” status on the W-4 form.

The Student Employment Department cannot provide students with advice regarding their tax exemptions. Students should fully read and understand the form before filling it out. If you feel you need further advice regarding tax status, we encourage you to consult with a certified public accountant or tax specialist.


United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 is the Employment Eligibility Verification form. This form verifies that you are legally eligible to work in the United States. To determine eligibility to work, students must provide acceptable documentation. Documents presented to complete the I-9 form must be originals. Faxes and photocopies cannot be accepted. Laminated Social Security cards cannot be accepted, as they are invalid. If a document submitted as identification requires a signature and is not signed, it will be considered invalid, and the student must provide an alternate form of identification. Students may not use any form of expired identification to establish identity and eligibility. This form must be filled out by the student, in person, with the Payroll and Accounts Specialist. Here is a list of acceptable I-9 documentation.

We’re here to help!

If you have questions about work-study programs, please contact us.