The Bjarne W. Teigen Reformation Lectures are an annual tradition at Bethany Lutheran College. Each October, guest speakers deliver lectures on topics related to the Lutheran Reformation. Students, pastors from around the region, and others attend the informative series.
NOTE FOR 2020:
We regret to inform you that the current conditions caused by the global pandemic compel us to cancel the 2020 Bjarne Wollan Teigen Reformation Lectures scheduled to meet in Mankato, Minnesota October 29–30, 2020.
I am sure this comes as little surprise given the many cancellations of academic conferences throughout the country this fall. Nevertheless, we are very sorry about this. That said, we were so looking forward to this year’s topic that we have retained it for next year. So please join us again for the 2021 Reformation Lectures, entitled “We Confess Jesus Christ,” to be held on the campus of Bethany Lutheran Theological Seminary and College on October 28–29, 2021.
The individual lectures will be:
- Early Church Christology
- Early Modern Lutheran Christology
- Modern Lutheran Christology
1965 – Audio replay for 2020
In place of in-person lectures for 2020—which were postponed until 2021—we present this audio recording of the very first Reformation Lecture hosted on a snowy day in the banquet room of the Viking Motel in Mankato, Minnesota. Rev. Erling Teigen gives us the modern-day introduction from the podcast studio at Bethany Lutheran College.
- Dr. Hermann Sasse – March 1965
Evangelical Lutheran Synod: “Lutheran Preaching through the Centuries”
- Preaching in the Reformation – Dr. Paul Robinson, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO
- Preaching in the Nineteenth Century – Dr. Thomas Kuster, Bethany Lutheran Theological Seminary, Mankato, MN
- Preaching Today — Pres. Emeritus Paul Wendland, Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, WI
Evangelical Lutheran Synod: “Three Perspectives”
- ELS: A WELS Perspective—Dr. John Brenner
- ELS: An LCMS Perspective—Dr. Lawrence Rast
- ELS: An Introspective—Rev. Craig Ferkenstad