For Security assistance, call 507-344-7888, or 888 from a campus phone. In an emergency, call 911.
Bethany Lutheran College Campus Security exists to serve students and make the campus and its buildings a safe and secure place for students, staff and visitors. Information about Annual Security Reports and Crime Statistics can be found at the Campus Security page.
Parking Services & Regulations
Information regarding campus parking can be found at the Campus Parking Guide.
Campus Security Services
The primary purpose of Bethany Campus Security is the protection and safety of persons and property on campus. Cooperation of all members of the Bethany community is essential. Please be alert of your surroundings and if you see any suspicious activity, contact Campus Security, Residential Life Staff, or the Mankato Police Department.
Campus Security will seek to ensure protection and safety of the campus community by regularly patrolling buildings and grounds, escorting students for safety when requested, conducting daily campus security checks, addressing safety hazards, and issuing security alerts.
Campus Security will respond to campus incidents and calls for assistance. Enforcement of Bethany’s parking policies is also part of Security’s responsibilities. (See Parking Services)
You can reach the on-duty Campus Security officer at 507-344-7888 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional Campus Security questions may be directed to the Dean of Students at 507-344-7330.
Security will post “Security Alerts” whenever there is a situation that concerns the general Bethany community. These alerts will be posted in the “Daily Bulletin,” at key locations on campus, via student email, and on the Security web page.
Bethany has installed emergency phones in student parking lots. There are additional courtesy phones located on the second floor entry of Anderson Hall, inside the entries of Teigen Hall, Gullixson Hall, Edgewood Place, and outside the upper entrance to Larson Hall. Dial 888 for Campus Security or 911 for police and fire. Additional courtesy phones are available in all buildings. Please see the campus floor plan maps posted on every floor in every building for the nearest courtesy phone location.
Security provides students, staff, and visitors with an escort to and from locations on campus for safety reasons. For example, if you work late off campus and would like an escort from a student parking lot to your residential hall, simply call 507.344.7888 from your cell phone or make use of an emergency phone in the student parking lots. This service is only offered on the campus.
You are encouraged to have an extra set of keys to your vehicle secured in your dorm room. Officers are trained and equipped with vehicle lockout tools. They will be able to unlock most cars. There is no charge for this service. Owners of the vehicles must sign a waiver and assume responsibility for any possible damage.
Security can also provide you with a “jump start” when your vehicle battery is dead. This is a free service, but owners must sign a waiver and assume responsibility for any damage. Campus Security offers these services only on campus.
In Case of Severe Weather/Tornado
If a tornado warning is issued, please move to a designated severe weather shelter (listed below) or an interior room or hallway on the lowest level away from windows. All severe weather shelter areas are also posted on the floor plan maps in every building.
- Tweit Hall – Restrooms
- Edgewood Place – Basement
- Gullixson Hall – Basement
- Honsey Hall – Tunnel, lower level restrooms and classrooms, posted hallway
- Larson Hall – Lower level laundry room
- Memorial Library – Tunnel, lower level interior halls
- Meyer Hall – Tunnel, computer labs on lower level
- Old Main/Anderson Hall/Luther Hall – Chapel tunnel, 1st floor restrooms by the Viking Village, base of steps by the Viking Village
- Presidents Hall – Basement
- Sports and Fitness Center – North gym locker rooms, 1st floor restrooms (not in the gyms)
- Teigen Hall – 1st floor interior hall, 1st floor restrooms and laundry room
- Trinity Chapel – Tunnels, lower level restrooms and classrooms
- Ylvisaker Fine Arts Center – 1st floor restrooms, basement (not in the theater)
- Bethany Activity Center – Women’s locker room
General Protection Policies for Students
- Call the police (911)when there is a medical emergency, fire or any other emergency or situation you believe requires assistance. Please call Campus Security 507.344.7888 as well to assist you and emergency personnel.
- Keep your residence locked to remove any temptation and opportunity for theft. Please store valuables in your room. Do not leave electronic devices out or hooked-up in student lounge areas. Do not keep valuables in your car. If necessary, place valuables in the trunk or out of sight.
- Students are encouraged to carry their electronic key FOB and student ID with them at all times. You are required to provide identification (student ID or picture driver’s license) when requested by Campus Security or College staff.
- Campus safety and security rests with all members of the campus community. Keep your eyes open and report suspicious activity and suspects. Contact Campus Security, Resident Life Staff, the Dean of Students, or the police when necessary.
- There is a complete listing of services and procedures at Campus Security’s web page: www.blc.edu/security
All students of Bethany Lutheran College are given the option of providing information for an emergency contact person who could be notified in the event the student is officially reported as missing or for other emergencies. The Office of the Registrar may be contacted to update emergency contact information.
Firearms/Dangerous Articles and Weapons/ Ammunition/Fireworks/Explosives
Bethany Lutheran College bans guns on its premises. It prohibits the possession, storage or use of any firearm, ammunition, bow and arrow, crossbow, fireworks, and any other type of propellant guns (i.e. airsoft, pellet, BB, gel blaster, etc.). Other prohibited dangerous weapons include explosives, martial arts weapons, knives with a blade four inches long or longer, hatchets, axes, decorative weapons, electronic incapacitation devices (EICs), or any dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully to harm another, damage property, or used as a weapon against another. Decorative or replica weaponry of any of the above are also banned. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangement for the off-campus storage of any above mentioned weaponry. Questions may be directed to the Dean of Students 507.344.7330 or Campus Security 507.344.7888.
Bethany Lutheran College Trap team members must follow all rules, regulations, and policies of the College concerning the storage and usage of authorized competitive firearms in accordance with the Clay Target program.
Student solicitation of any kind (approaching students to purchase items, products or services) is prohibited on the campus of Bethany Lutheran College. All such activity should be reported to the Dean of Students or Campus Security.
Bethany respects the possessions of all and seeks to protect what rightfully belongs to individuals. It however is the student’s responsibility to ensure the safety and security of their personal belongings. Bethany is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property belonging to students. Please insure your personal property to protect against loss and damage and take precautions, such as locking your doors and not leaving items unattended, to guard against theft. This also applies to student vehicles and their contents.
Keys and Key FOBs
All students are provided an electronic key FOB, programmed for access to assigned areas such as the student’s residence hall, Old Main Student Union, academic buildings and/or facilities as appropriate. Residential students will have a key for their residence and mailbox. Off-campus students are issued a key for a mailbox upon request. If any of these are lost or become non-functional, a student should immediately contact Campus Security at 507.344.7888 or the Meyer Hall front office at MH 205 or call 507.344.7736. In the case of a lost/stolen key or FOB, timely notification is required to take necessary security precautions. Failure to notify of a lost/stolen key or FOB may jeopardize the safety and property of others. Consequently, failure to report may result in a fine of $100.00 and/or loss of other privileges. The cost for replacement is $20.00 for each FOB or key. Replacements will be provided once payment is made with the Business Office.
Students are issued an ID card at the beginning of their first year to be used as long as they are enrolled at Bethany. The ID card is required for meals, library check-out, and other identification purposes. Replacement cost for a lost or stolen card is $10. Payment must be made in the Business Office and then the receipt brought to the Memorial Library for a replacement card. Access to dining services may be denied if a student has not replaced a lost ID card within 48 hours.