- This event has passed.
Dobson Organ 40th Anniversary
November 2 at 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday, November 2 – The Bethany music department welcomes all to participate in the 40th anniversary weekend celebration of Bethany’s Dobson organ. All organ students in the college’s history are especially invited to attend the weekend’s recitals, presentations, and hymn sing – 168 Bethany students have taken organ lessons in the past 30 years alone.
Thursday, October 31, 2019
- 4:30 p.m. – Organ Reformation Vespers featuring current Bethany organ students.
- Link to Video Stream (beginning approx. 10 min before service)
Friday, November 1, 2019
- 7:00 p.m. – Organ recital featuring Dr. Christopher Young. Dr. Young taught at Bethany and is now a professor of music at the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University and is a concert organist. $10 suggested donation at the door. Reception to follow in the YFAC gallery.
Saturday, November 2, 2019
- 9:30 a.m. – Meet and greet, browse the displays, music exchange (please bring any music you might wish to donate to students or exchange with others.
- 10:00 a.m. – Alumni Marathon Recital
(This will be somewhat informal, but we invite all organ alumni to participate. If you’d like to play a short piece please message Mark DeGarmeaux. We are able to accommodate 24-36 players. The organ works very well for baroque music. We might encourage pieces from 80 Chorale Preludes, Orgelbuchlein, but other composers as well. We will allow attendees to come and go in between pieces. If you don’t feel comfortable playing without rehearsal, please come and listen! Link to Video Stream
- Noon – Lunch on your own – Cafeteria will be open until 12:30 p.m.
- 1:30 p.m. – Lynn Dobson, the architect and builder of the Chapel organ, will present about his craft. Link to Video Stream
- 2:30 p.m. – Browse the displays
- 3:30 p.m. – Hymn Festival with Bethany alumnus Jacob Weber (’10). Weber works for Concordia Publishing House and has published over 100 compositions. Link to Video Stream