- This event has passed.
Rake the Town
November 9, 2019 at 9:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Rake the Town
Saturday, November 9th
9:00 – Noon
This volunteer activity requires your group to rake lawns on Saturday, November 10th. You will need to register a minimum of five (5) students in order to participate. Your group could be a res hall, club, sport team, or just a group of friends.
THREE PRIZE drawings of $150, $100 and $50 will be awarded!
Your group can win a VISA cash card or have money deposited in your club’s on-campus account for participating in this Community Service event. Each registered group (5+ people) will be entered to win. Prizes will be drawn during VINE’s famous chili lunch after the morning of raking. Group captains must be present to claim the prize (gym at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church in West Mankato).
REGISTER your group online by November 7. Or call 507.397.1666. The captain needs to contact me (Courtney Agenten) too with your contact information and number of volunteers. That way I know how many Bethany groups we have out there that morning. Request the Hilltop Mankato location for lawns.
MEET in the lounge of Edgewood Place November 9th at 9am for coffee and donuts. Rakes and bags will be handed out that morning.
Locations and description of homes will be provided to you (the team captain) by VINE November 6-8. We will pick up maps and supplies for you. The event starts at 9:00 am and concludes with VINE’s famous chili lunch at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church in West Mankato at noon.
We are inviting you and your group to join us in making this task easier for the older homeowners of our community. Attached is a flyer and a sign-up sheet you can use to help get volunteers for your group. There will be a bulletin board in the SUB with information as well.
# of volunteers needed: Each year there are 600 to 700 rakers who rake leaves at around 250 properties in the Greater Mankato Area. It works best if volunteers divide themselves into teams of 5 to 15 rakers. (For example there could be multiple BLC teams such as the Anderson team, Edgewood team, drama club, a group of friends, seminary students, etc.) One person from each group acts as the raking volunteer group captain and liaison with VINE. ALL communication between volunteers and VINE goes through each raking team liaison. You need a minimum of 5 people in a group to participate and qualify for the prize. Be realistic about the number of participants and yards you can do.
Equipment needed: VINE can provide rakes, tarps and bags for leaf raking. If volunteers have their own rakes and tarps, they are encouraged to bring them. All will be available for you in the parking lot of Edgewood Place.
Transportation: Your group will need to provide your own transportation.
• The Raking Team captain (liaison) to VINE signs up their team using the form on the VINE website.
• VINE staff will communicate via email with the captain in the time leading up to Rake the Town. The captain will in turn share the information with their team.
• VINE will assign to each team, the properties to be raked. So it’s important that each team be realistic as to how many volunteers they will have on their team on Saturday, November 10.
• Transportation to the various properties is the responsibility of the raking team. The week of November 6– 10, raking teams will be instructed exactly where to come at VINE to pick up their instruction packet, rakes and tarps.
• The teams generally start raking at about 9 am on Nov. 10 and finish up around noon.
• It’s critical that VINE have a cell phone # for each team captain.
• If teams finish raking before noon, they will be given a cell phone # to call at VINE. Sometimes we send raking teams to additional properties.
• At the conclusion of raking, the teams come to the gym at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church in West Mankato where they will be served a complimentary hearty lunch of chili, hot dogs, and assorted treats. It’s sort of a big celebration of service to others
Thank you for gathering a team of volunteers!